Sunday, September 11, 2011

Day 254-Do You Remember?

I can't believe that it has been 10 years.

I was thirteen. Had just started eighth grade. It was probably about 7 o'clock in the morning when my mom came home from driving "the kids" to the high school. (We always referred to my older brother and sister as "the kids.") She came inside and turned on the TV in her bedroom. "Chelsy [a neighbor girl] said that a plane crashed into a building in New York," she said.

I stood in the doorway of her room, watching the video footage. "How can a plane just not see a building like that?" I asked. Then another plane hit the second tower. Then the towers collapsed.

By the time school started we had gotten the news of a third plane hitting the Pentagon in Washington, and just a few minutes later a fourth plane crashed in Pennsylvania.

It was obvious that these were no accidents, but I didn't really understand what was happening. I remember being confused. What was happening? Then the death count started coming in. And for days, weeks, afterwards those images were shown over and over again. I don't think I will ever forget what it looked like. The aftermath was terrifying. IS terrifying--we're still living in it. The nation mourned and prayed together.

I don't any of us that lived it will ever forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment